Choose the best answer
1). "Would you like to have dinner with me?"
A). Yes, I’d love to.
B). Yes, it is.
C). Yes, so do I.
D). I'm very happy.
2). The teacher told his students----------------laughing.
A). would stop
B). to stop
3). The boy ----------family is poor is very intelligent.
4). English is thought-----------------in the world.
A). the most popular language
B). to be the most popular language .
C). is the most popular language .
D). to play the most popular language .
5). Mary asked me---------------A). whether I would watch the football match on TV the day before.
B). whether I watched the football match on TV the day before.
C). If I had watch the football match on TV the day before.
D). whether I had watched the football match on TV the day before .
6). -----------I were you, I wouldn’t accept that job. .
D). Even if
7). If I had learned harder ,-------------.
A). I wouldn’t failed the exam.
B). I wouldn’t have failed the exam .
C). I wouldn’t have passed the exam .
D). I would have failed the exam .
8). We have got plenty of time.---------------.
A). We needn’t leave yet B). We needn’t to leave yet
C). We needn’t leaving yet D) We need leave yet.
9). --------------, the workers will stop working.
A). Unless the working conditions are improved.
B). If the working conditions are improved.
C). Unless the working conditions are not improved.
D). If not the working conditions are improved.
10). She said that she had been doing her homework------------ 5 hours.
11). Miss White sang very--------------at my birthday party last night.
12). " I have passed my driving test."
A). Do you?
B). It is nice of you to say so.
C). That is a good idea.
13). We should warn the children------------to strangers.
A). not to speak
B). not to speaking
C). to speak
D). not speak
14). "How do you do" "-------------"
A). Yeah, Ok.
B). How do you do?
C). I'm well .Thank you. D). Not too bad.
15). He -----------in London at the moment.
B). will study
C). has been studying
D). is studying
16). The flowers----------in a warm sunny place.
A). should keep
B). should kept
C). should be keep
D). should be kept
17). Pick the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
18). Pick out the word that has the stress differently from that of the rest.
19). Pick the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
20). Smoke, dirt and noise are all kinds of--------------.
21). "I'm terribly sorry, I am late,” said Mai
A). Mai apologized to me for not being late
B). Mai apologized me for being late
C). Mai apologized to me for being late
D). Mai apologizes to me for being late
22). That man,---------- you met yesterday, is my uncle.
23). Pick the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
24). When my father was young, he -----------get up early to do the gardening.
A). use to
B). got used to
C). used to
D). is used to
25). Despite of his old age , he works very hard.
26). I enjoyed talking to the people whom I had dinner with them last night.
27). Lan often arrives at the office at nine o'clock, but because the storm, she was late this morning.
28). He never goes home before he will finish his work.
29. We started working here three years ago.
A. We worked here for three years.
B. We have no longer worked here for three years.
C. We have worked here for three years.
D. We will work here in three years.
30. “ John lelf here an hour ago,” said Jane.
A. Jane told me that John had lelf there an hour before. B. Jane said John lelf here an hour before.
C. Jane told John to have lelf there an hour before.
D. Jane told me that John to leave there an hour before.
31. No one has opened this box for a hundred years .
A. This box hasn’t been opened for a hundred years.
B. This box has been opened for a hundred years.
C. This box has belonged to nobody for a long time.
D. Someone opened this box a hundred years ago.
32. Do you like books with an ………………… story?
33. You ……………come with me if you don’t want to .I’ll go on my own.
D. don’t have to
34. It is in Quebec.......................French is used as an official language .
C. in where
35. ……………………………….., she wouldn’t have failed the exam.
A. If Lan studied hard
B. Unless Lan had studied hard
C. If Lan had studied hard
D. If Lan studied hard
36. A. smiled
37. A. dates
38. A. should
39. There’s plenty of time for you to make up your mind. You...................decide now.
40. The restaurant ______by the time we got there last night.
B. had closed
C. was closing
D. has closed
41. If you tried again you ______.
A. will succeed
B. would succeed
C. will have succeed
D. had succeeded
42. I can’t remember the name of the garage ______we had the car repaired.
43. The last time he drove downtown was five years ago .
A/. He didn’t drive downtown for five years .
B/. He has finished driving downtown for five years.
C/. It’s five years since he last drove downtown .
D/. He last drove downtown for five years.
44. You wouldn’t burn the garbage, you had better dig a hole and bury it..
45. Miss Betty White has written the report since 8 a.m
A. The report has been written since 8 a.m by Miss Betty White
B The report have been written since 8 a.m by Miss Betty White
C. The report since 8 a.m have been written by Miss Betty White
D. The reports by Miss Betty White have been written since 8 a.m
46. They have to build this bridge before this winter
A. They have this bridge to be built before this written. B. They have this bridge built before this winter
C. This bridge have to be built before this winter
D. This bridge has to be built before this winter.
47. People believe that she was crying too much
A. She is believed to have been crying too much
B. She is believed to cry too much
C. She is believed that she was crying too much
D. That she was crying too much was believed.
Nam didn’t go to the party because he was ill yesterday.
A- If Nam was not ill yesterday, he could have gone to the party.
B- If Nam had not been ill yesterday, he could have gone to the party.
C- If Nam had not been ill yesterday, he couldn’t have gone to the party.
D- If Nam was ill yesterday, he could have gone to the party.
48. Could you fill out this
49. She is the woman ____________ sister looks after the baby for us.
50. Look! The ball …………………down.
B. is falling
D. has fallen
1. A. unwise
2. A. animal
3. A. played
4. A. disaster
5. A. habitat
6. A. interview
7. The people who waiting outside are becoming impatient.
8 . He apologized about not coming to the meeting.
9. Linda asked her father that he was going to New York the next Sunday.
10. If you had gone to bed early last night, you wouldn’t have been so sleepy now
11. My little brother is very …………………………. collecting sea shells.
A. keen in
B. keen on
C. fond on
D. interested of
12. Your car is too dirty ! When did you have it ………………………?
B. be washed
C. being washed
13. She asked me ………I had done before coming there.
14. I knew they were talking about me………they stopped when I entered the room.
B. so that
15. “Would you like to come to have dinner with my family tonight?”
He ………..me to come to have dinner with his family that night.
16. The woman asked………………… get lunch at school.
A. can the children
B. whether the children could
C. if the children can
D. could the children
17. “Don’t forget to go to the supermarket after work.”
She …………her husband to go to the supermarket after work.
18. Do you know the woman …………………….. over there
A. who sit
19. She………………. a letter at the moment
B. is writing
C. has written
D. are writing
20. Some rare animals are in danger of………………..
21. Work hard and you will……………..
22. He ……………… from Danang university before he got married
A. had graduated
C. has graduated
23. His grandmother died…………..the age of 90
24. We were made……………………fifty new words every week.
A. to learn
D. for learning
25. It is believed that the man escaped in a stolen car.
A. The man is believed to have escaped in a stolen car.
B. The man is believed to be escaped in a stolen car.
C. The man was believed to be escaped in a stolen car.
D. They believed that the man stole the car.
26. They spent a lot of money on food and clothes.
A. A lot of money was spent on food and clothes.
B. A lot of money were spent on food and clothes.
C. A lot of money on food and clothes were spent.
D. Money was spent a lot on food and clothes.
27. “ Don’t forget to phone the police,” she said.
A. She reminded him not forget to phone the police.
B. She told him to forget not to phone the police.
C. She reminded him to phone the police.
D. She reminded him about phoning the police.
28. She must have her reasons where she doesn’t want to tell.
29. If you listen to the questions carefully, you would answer them easily
30. He went to the cinema___________ he had done his homework.
C. by the time
31. If I were a member of the Red Cross Organization, I ______ to the disaster-stricken areas to help the victims.
B. had gone
C. would go
D. would have gone
32. Our health is being ____________ by air pollution.
33. “Good luck in exams!” “ ___________________”
A. I hope so
B. you mention it
C. Never mind
D. you too
34. - He said that he _________________ me the book soon.
A. will return
B. would return
C. is returning
35. Remember to take ________________ your shoes when you’re in a Japanese house.
36. – “Would you like to go out with me tonight?” _ “ Yes, ________. Where shall we meet?”
A. I’d love to
B. Of course
C. I like too
D. So do I
37. He advised her________ too far from the campsite.
A. not to go
B. not go
C. not going
D. to not go
38. Our teacher came in when we ________ noisily.
A. had talked
B. were talking
C. are talking
D. have been talking
39. I must thank the man from ____________ I got the present.
40. The students in the class were made __________ very hard.
C. to learn
D. having learnt
41. Jack asked his brother ___________________.
A. where you have gone tomorrow
B. where she would go the following day
C. where would she go the following day
D. where you will go tomorrow
42. Last week I met Mr. Lam, ______________.
A. who’s oldest son is studying abroad
B. the oldest son of who is studying abroad
C. whose oldest son is studying abroad
D. of whom the oldest son is studying abroad
43. ______________, he would go fishing.
A. If today is Sunday
B. If today were Sunday
C. Unless today was Sunday
D. Unless today would be Sunday
44. The students who are revising for their exams are used to stay up late.
45. Have you ever read any novels writing by Jack London?
46. He said that he has done his homework since 7 o'clock.
47. “Don’t forget to feed the chicken twice a day,” he said.
A. He reminded me to feed the chicken twice a day.
B. He suggested me to feed the chicken twice a day.
C. He told not to forget to feed the chicken twice a day.D. He said don’t forget to feed the chicken twice a day.
48. He will take us to the town... ....... we can see old temples.
49. The 21st World Cup will ...... in Brazil.
A. be play
B. be taken
C. be happened
D. be held
50. My parents first........ each other at the Olympic Games in 2000 .
B. had met
C. have met
1/ A. chauffeur
2/ A. garden
3/ A. near
4/ A. capital
5/ A. cultivate
6/ The classroom ____________ when the teacher arrived .
A. was being cleaned
B. is cleaned
C. was cleaning
D. was cleaned
7/ “Oh, I’m really sorry!” ~ “_____________________.”
A. It was a pleasure”
B. That’s all right
D. Yes, why?
8/ “Do you like the weather here?” ~ “I wish it ______________.”
A. doesn’t rain
B. won’t rain
C. didn’t rain
D. hadn’t rained
9/ I have to announce that the manager cannot attend our party today, ____________is a pity.
10/ Although he was _________________, he agreed to play tennis with me.
11/ He asked me _________ home the day before.
A. what time I leave
B. what time I will leave
C. what time I left
D. what time I had left
12/ The development of wildlife habitat reserves is a good conservation measure________
A. to prevent endangered species
B. to feed endangered species
C . to benefit from endangered species
D. to save endangered species
13/ “You look nice today. I like your new hairstyle.” ~ “______________________.”
A. It’s nice of you to think so.
B. Shall I? Thanks.
C. Oh well done!
D. I feel interesting to hear that.
14/ We can ___________ not only through words but also through body language.
15/ Fortunately we had a map, ______________we’d have got lost.
A. without which
B. with which
C. for which
D. of which
16/ By 2050, medical technology _________ many diseases.
A. will have conquered
C. has conquered
D. is conquering
17/ After finishing the presentation, I suggested ______________to the cinema.
A. us to go
B. that we to go
D. we going
18/ The students are going to hearing three short conversations about food.
19/ I will never forget what has he done for me.
20. She asked her nephew, “ Can you guess what I bought for you?”
A. She asked her nephew if he can guess what she had bought for him.
B. She asked her nephew to buy something for her.
C. She asked her nephew if he could guess what he could buy.
D. She asked her nephew if he could guess what she had bought for him.
21. They arrived late, so they didn’t get good seats.
A. If they had arrived earlier, they might have got good seats.
B. The late arrivers still had good seats.
C. However late they arrived, they had very good seats.
D. Unless they arrived early, they wouldn’t have good seats
22. No one in our club can speak English as fluently as Mai.
A. Mai speaks English more fluently than no one in our club.
B. Mai is the worst English speaker in our club.
C. Mai speaks English as fluently as other people in our club.
D. Mai speaks English the most fluently in our club.
23. The question is too important to forget.
A. We must ask the question.
B. The question is not important.
C. We must try to forget the question.
D. We must remember the question.
24. My mother never allows me to go out alone at night.
A. I was not allowed to go out last night.
B. My mother never lets me go out alone at night.
C. My mother never goes out alone at night.
D. My mother and I usually go out alone at night.
25. I’m looking forward to .................. from you soon.
C be hearing
D. be heard
26. She was very excited ............. the news you told her.
27. Do you remember the place ............. we two visited 3 years ago?
B. in which
C. at which
28. By the end of this year We ................. this plan for eight months.
A. will have carried out B. will carry out
C. are carrying out
D. have carried out
29. I don’t think you are telling ………........ lie.
30. He ..................... me whether I agreed with him.
31. “ Don’t forget to give book to Tom” she said
A. She reminded me not to forget to give book back to Tom.
B. She reminded me to remember to give book back to Tom.
C. She reminded me remember to give book back to Tom.
D. She reminded me to give book back to Tom.
32. “ If I were you, I would go by taxi, Richard.” She said.
A. She advised me to go by taxi.
B. She advised Richard to go by taxi.
C. She advised Richard going by taxi.
D. She advised Richard going by taxi.
33. Tom said that____
A. An has bought a new car
B. An had bought a new car
C. An will buy a new car
D. An buys a new car
34. The girl ____ is now in hospital.
A. who injured in the accident
B. was injured in the accident
C. who was injured in the accident
D. whom he injured
35. My parents are the first people____ advice I usually ask for.
36. We were advised not drinking the water in the bottle.
37. . the storm prevented us to go out
38. They can’t pay the rent unless their parents don’t send them some money.
39. My mother's main ________is to run the household.
40. A survey is made to________ their attitudes toward love and marriage.
41. A person who expects bad things to happen is ________.
42. Schooling is________ for all English children from the age of five to sixteen .
43. I decided to give up smoking.
C. go on
44. It's a long time since we last went to the cinema.
A. We have been to the cinema for a long time.
B. We haven't been to the cinema for a long time.
C. We don't go to the cinema as we used to.
D. We wish we went to the cinema now.
45. "John left here an hour ago, " said Jane.
A. Jane told me that John had left there an hour before.
B. Jane said John left here an hour before.
C. Jane told John to have left there an hour before.
D. Jane told me that John to leave there an hour before.
46. No one has opened this box for a hundred years.
A. This box has been opened for a hundred years. B. This box hasn't been opened for a hundred years.
C. This box was opened hundred years ago.
D. This box wasn't opened a hundred years ago.
47. I haven't got money, so I'm not going on holiday
A. Having money made me go on holiday. B. I am not going on holiday although r have got money.
C. If T have money, I'll go on holiday.
D. If I had money, I would go on holiday.
48. "I will come to see you next Sunday ". John said to me.
A. John promise me that he will come to see me on the following Sunday.
B. John promised to come to see me on the following Sunday.
C. John told me that he will come to see me on the following Sunday.
D. John said that he will come to see me on the following Sunday.
49. If the little girl knew how to do it, her mother will be pleased
50. It is say that learning a foreign language takes a lot of time.
1. A. applicant
2. A. believed
3. A. books
4. If students want a............., they have to pass the final examination.
5. I don't.............him for getting angry because she's behaving dreadfully.
6. His parents made him study for his exams.
A. He was made study for his exams by his parents.
B. He is made studying for his exams by his parents.
C. He is made to study for his exams by his parents.
D. He was made to study for his exams by his parents.
7. Peter was having his hair cutting when John called.
8. I don’t know Hung’s sister. I ……………… her.
A. had never met
B. have never met
9. These T-shirts and jeans ……………… in the US. in 1900.
A. have made
C. were made
10. The room looks nice. It ……………….
A. was cleaning
B. has just been cleaned C. will be cleaned
D. is cleaning
11. We ……………… each other for 10 years.
C. have known
D. had known
12. Our twenty houses ……………… when the fire engine ……………….
A. had burnt up / arrived
B. burnt up / had arrived
C. had been burnt up / arrived
D. will have burnt / arrives
13. After I ……………… the grass, it ……………… to rain.
A. have watered / will begin
B. water / began
C. had watered / began
D. had watered / will have begun
14. Next week when there ………………… a full moon, the ocean tides will be higher.
A. is being
C. will be
D. will have been
15. I ……………… the Louvre before I ……………… Paris last year.
A. have never seen / visited
B. had never seen / visited
C. never saw / had visited
D. will never see / visit
16. It’s two years ……………… John.
A. that I don’t see
B. that I haven’t seen
C. since I didn’t see
D. since I last saw
17. "Did Shakespeare write this play?."
A). Did this play Shakespeare write ?
B). This play was written by Shakespeare
C). Was this play written by Shakespeare?
D). Did this play written by Shakespeare?
18. No one can use the fax machine.
A). The fax machine can be used
B). The fax machine can be used by no one
C). The fax machine can't be used
D). The fax machine can't be using
19. Had I attended the class regularly, I ……………….. the exam.
B). would have passed
C). would pass
D). will pass
20. I saw some people .Their car had broken down.
A). I saw some people who car had broken down.
B). I saw some people which car had broken down.
C). I saw some people whose car had broken down. D). I saw some people had broken down.
21. She gives children everything ............. they want.
22. If you had taken my advice , you ……………….. in such difficulties now.
A). wouldn't be
B). won't be
C). hadn't been
D). wouldn't have been
23. I can't do the test . It's too difficult.
A). If the test weren't too difficult, I could do it.
B). If the test were too difficult, I could do it.
C). If the test aren't too difficult, I could do it.
D). If the test weren't too easy, I could do it.
24. If she …………………….here now ,she would help me.
25. You .................shout. I'm not deaf.
26. Yesterday I bought ………umbrella in ………..big shop.
A. a- a
B. an- the
C. an- x(zero)
D. an - a
27. _________ are people who always expect good things to happen.
28. Hoa is fond ……………reading and cooking.
29. Be careful. The vase is very heavy. You …………drop it.
C. have to
30. My sister is going to get married …………. Smith next month.
31. It is my secret. You ....................tell anyone.
32. We haven’t played football together since we have finished the summer course last month.
33. A number of wild animals is in danger of extinction.
34. If you drank less, you will feel much better.
35. There were so much books in the library that I didn’t know which one to choose.
36. Do you mind to go out with me to buy some ice cream?
37. The doctor advised Robert………………to lose weight.
A. to take more exercise so that he could
B. to take more exercise if he wanted
C. that he takes more exercise
D. that he should take more exercise in order that
38. Do you know the house………….which she lives with her grandmother?
39. I’m going to have my house………….this weekend.
40. The boy ……………eyes are brown is my friend.
41. …………….I came to see her yesterday, she was reading a magazine.
42. Ann lives in London. She………….there for ten years.
A. was living
B. is living
C. has been living
D. had been living
43. Endangered species…………………by the World Wildlife Fund.
A. will protect
B. would protect
C. be protected
D. are protected
44. We……………….this course by the end of next year.
A. were finishing
B. have finished
C. had finished
D. will have finished
45. a. disaster
46. a. international
47. a. gold
48. a. punch
49. a. visited
50. When a reader reads an interesting book slowly and carefully, he …………..it
b. chews and digests
d. dips into
1.’’ Thank you for your nice gift.’’ “……………………………………’’
a. But do you know how much it costs ?
b. You‘re welcome.
c. In fact. I myself don’t like it
d. I’m glad you like it.
2. “Let’s go to the movie now,’’ Oh!...............................................
a. Good idea!
b. I don’t
c. Why’s that?
d. I need it.
3. The Red List is a special book that provides names of ……..animals.
b. vulnerable and endangered
4. The picnic ________ because Peter has just had a traffic accident.
a. will cancel
b. will be cancelling
c. will be cancelled
d. will have cancelled
5. We have plenty of time for doing the work. We _______ be hurried.
a. need not
b. should not
c. must not
d. may not
6. I have earned my own living……..I was fifteen.
d. as soon as
7. A…….is the one who can keep ball with both hands.
8. Air tank, regulator, wet suit, mask, fins are equipments required to play in……..
a. water polo
c. wind surfing
d. scuba diving
9. Life on Earth is disappearing fast and will continue to do so unless urgent action is taken.
10. Government have passed laws to protect wildlife from commercial trade.
11. Jack was my_____________ in the tennis match.
12. Most Americans don’t object _______being called their first names.
13. People who have drunk alcohol must not to drive at any cost.
The machine can turned on by pressing this switch.
15. You ……………. disturb him during his work!
A. should not
B. could not
C. must not
D. don't have to
16. The windows look clean. You ……………… wash them.
C. don't have to
17. Sue: “You are a great dancer. I wish I could do half as well as you” - Daisy: “_____.”
A. I'm fine, thanks
B. Not at all
C. I don’t think so, too
D. You’ve got to be kidding! I thought it was terrible
18. Sorry, I can’t stop now. I _____ to an important meting.
A. am going to go
B. am going
D. will go
19. There are several places where residents face the threat of _______ every day.
20. Mary: “That’s a very nice skirt you’re wearing.”- Julia: “_________.”
A. That’s all right
B. That’s nice
C. I like it
D. I’m glad you like it
21. The GCSE stands for __________.
A. the Generous Certificate of Secondary Education B. the General Certificate of Secondary Education
C. the Grade Curriculum of Secondary Education D. the Government Curriculum of Secondary Education
22. Many Indian men said that it was unwise to ______ in their wives.
23. He was offered the job thanks to his ____ performance during his job interview.
24. Nam: “Would you like to have dinner with me?”
- Lam: “__________.”
A. Yes, it is
B. Yes, so do I
C. I’m very happy
D. Yes, I’d love to
25. “If I were you, Tom, I wouldn’t meet Jane again.” said Anna
A. Anna advised Tom not to meet Jane again.
B. Anna offered Tom not to meet Jane again.
C. Anna advised Tom to meet Jane again.
D. Anna invited Tom to meet Jane again.
26. The last time I went to the museum was a year ago.
A. At last I went to the museum after a year.
B. I haven’t been to the museum since a year.
C. My going to the museum lasted a year.
D. I have not been to the museum for a year.
27. What language are they going to speak at the conference?
A. What language is going to speak at the conference?
B. What language is going to be spoken at the conference?
C. What is language going to be spoken at the conference?
D. What language is going to be speaking at the conference?
28. Hunting for meat and burning forests for soil cause destruction to wildlife.
29. Many plants and endangered species are now endangering of _______.
30. You ________ ask a woman about her age. It’s not polite.
31. Pay attention ________ all traffic signs when you are travelling in the street.
32. I’ll lend you the money and you ________ pay me back till next month.
33. I haven’t met old English teacher since I left school.
A. I didn’t have a chance to meet my old English teacher because I left school.
B. this is the last time I met my old English teacher at school.
C. I last met my old English teacher when I left school.
D. My old English teacher hasn’t met me since I have left school
34. Books in the home are a wonderful....... of knowledge and pleasure.
35. Reviewers describe books ....... "hard-to-put-down", or "hard-to-pick-up-again".
36. Books are still a cheap........ to get knowledge and entertainment.
37. John lent me this book.
A. This book was lent to me by John.
B. I lent this book to John.
C. This book is lent to me by John.
D. I was lent by John this book.
38. They had seen the man in a parking lot.
A. The man was seen in a parking lot.
B. The man has been seen in a parking lot.
C. The man was to be seen in a parking lot.
D. The man had been seen in a parking lot.
39. People say that prevention is better than cure.
A. It is said that prevention is better than cure.
B. Prevention is said to be better than cure.
C. Prevention is to have said to be better than cure.
D. A and B are correct.
40. My mother gave a watch to me.
A. My mother was given a watch by me.
B. A watch was given to me by my mother.
C. A watch was given my mother by me.
D. A watch was given to my mother by me.
41. One of the four period of time in which a game of American football is divided is known as a
42. Suddenly, Julia jumped out of the car and sprinted for the front door.
A. walked hurriedly
B. ran very fast
C. move slightly
D. ran slowly
is the official who controls the game in some sports.
44. The whole audience objected to their foul play during the football match.
45. In water polo, a player is ejected after committing five personal fouls.
C. thrown out
46. Those letters ________ now. You can do the typing later.
A. need typing
B. needn't be typed
C. need to type
D. needn't typing
47. You ______ up early. Today's Sunday.
A. shouldn't get
B. mustn't get
C. needn't get
D. mightn't get
48. The room ________ once a day.
A. should clean
B. should be cleaning
C. should be cleaned
D. should have cleaned
49. Before eating, ________ thoroughly with soap and clean water.
A. you should wash your hands
B. your hands should be washing
C. you need washing your hands
D. Your hands need washed
50. Fruits ________ in a freezer.
A. should not put
B. should not be put
C. must put
D. must be putting