TOEFL Incorrect word Test 5
1. The prime rate is the rate of interest that a
bank will charge when it borrows money to
its best clients.
2. The purchased of Louisiana was one of
the biggest events in the history of the
3. In the last 10 years, Mexican government
has reduced the number of its state-owned
companies to about half.
B. has reduced
4. Prevented the soil from erosion, the trees
planted by the farmer many years before
were what stopped the flood from reaching
5. Stuart stopped to write his letter because
he had to leave for the hospital.
A. to write
D. for the hospital
6. Today was such beautiful day that I
couldn't bring myself to complete all my
A. such beautiful day
C. to complete
D. my chores
7. Louis Braille designed a form of
communication enabling people to convey
and preserve their thoughts to incorporate a
series of dots which were read by the finger
B. to convey
C. to incorporate
D. were read
8. Their silly, whiny conversation on a child
level was meant to create tension and
heighten Nancy's fears and anxiety.
A. on a child level
B. to create
D. from reaching
D. Nancy's fears
9. Fertilize farmland is one of the biggest
natural resources in the Central States.
10. A number of novels submitted their
manuscripts under pseudonyms to conceal
the fact that they were women.
A. A number
C. to conceal
D. they were
A. consists of
14. In experiments with large numbers of
animals crowded in small cages, some have
not been affected, but the rest of have
shown all of the symptoms associated with
stress and mental illness.
A. large numbers
B. the rest of
C. have shown
D. all of the symptoms
A. at less
15. Albert Einstein was such brilliant a
scientist that many of his colleagues had to
study for several years in order to form
opinions about his theories.
B. four times
A. such brilliant a scientist
B. many of his colleagues
12. If England had not imposed a tax on tea
two hundred and twenty years ago, will the
United States have remained part of the
D. several years
11. The water in the Great Salt Lake is at
less four times saltier than seawater.
16. Ever the Senate passes a bill, a
messenger takes it to the House of
Representatives, delivers it to the Speaker of
the House, and bows deeply from the waist.
13. The Cabinet consists of secretaries of
departments, who report to the president,
give him advice, and helping him make
17. Hummingbirds move their wings so
rapid a way that they appear to be hanging
in the air.
19. Neon is often used in airplane beacons
because neon beacons are very visible that
they can be seen even through dense fog.
A. is often
B. rapid a way
C. to be hanging
D. in the air
D. seen even
18. A one hundred-horsepower tractor
can make the work of a large number of
20. The decision to withdraw all support
from the activities of the athletes are
causing an uproar among the athlete's fans.
A. one hundred-horsepower tractor
A. to withdraw
B. all support
C. are causing
D. a large number