Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
1. A . decided
2. A. summers
3. A. hopes
4. A. worked
5-6. Pick out the word whose main stressed syllable is different from the rest.
II. Grammar and vocabulary Choose the best answer.
7. He has never driven a car before.
a. This is the first time he has driven car.
b. This is the first time he had driven car
c. This was the first time he has drive car
d. This is the first time he has drove car
8. They always refused to allow me to bring friends home.
a. They usually let me bring friends home.
b. They never let me bring friends home.
c. They usually let me to bring friends home.
d. They let me bringing friends home.
9. An arranged ________ is the one in which the parents choose a husband or wife for their child.
10. The bride and the groom would pray, asking their ancestors’ _____________ to get married.
11. “I’ll come to see you next week” Tom said to you.
a. Jane promised come to see me the next week.
b. Jane promised coming to see me the next week.
c. Jane promise to come to see me the next week.
d. Jane promised to come to see me the next week.
12. They live in a very.....................family, so they are very happy.
a. close- knit
b. not very close- knit
13. It is generally believed that “Men build the house and women ......................it home”
14. Her sons are enjoy playing tricks and annoying people.
a. well play
15. In my family, only my father works
a. do the household chores b. earns money c. works in the office
d. mends things
16. My aunt is a wildlife photographer. She.............. in London for many years.
a. have been living b. will live
c. has been living
17. I would be grateful If you ...........................to my boss.
a. could talk
b. can talk
c. can’t talk
d. couldn’t talk
18. He ...................thousands of pictures since the last few years.
d. has drawn
19. I like shopping. I .......................go to the supermarket next Sunday.
a. be going to
b. am going to
c. was going to
d. to be going to
20. We.......... a big meal together at the famous Hotel.
a. to have
21. ..........................., who introduces the groom, the bride, the parents......of two families.
c. Master of Ceremony d. Wedding ceremony
22. The...........leaf hat is one the typical features of the Vietnamese culture.
23. The leaf hat is used to protect people from............................................
a. the other people b. the stranger
c. the sun and the rain
d. the wind and the clouds
24. How many...........................live in a home of America? There are two.
25. It is not ........................to ask questions about age, marriage and in come.
Choose the words or phrases that are not correct in standard English :
26. What would happen because I pressed that red button?
27. She had left the office when she saw how angry he was
28. The doctor strongly advised her take a few days’ rest
29. She has disappeared three days ago , and they are still looking for her now
30. Mary has so much things to do that she has no time to go out
- much + N(không đếm được) : nhiều
- many + N (đếm được): nhiều
- a lot of + N (đếm được, không đếm được): nhiều
In many modern countries, people think (31)_____ a family as a mother , a father and their children . But this is
not (32)____ only kind of the family group . In some parts of the world, a family group has many (33)_____
members. This kind of large family is called an “(34)______ family” or a “joint family”
The joint family includes all living relatives (35)_____ either the mother’s or the father’s side of the family. They
live together in a large house or in huts (36)_____ close together .
Early people probably lived in joint families. They had to be part of a large group in order to survive. The
members of the group help each other hunt. They work together to protect (37)______ from dangerous animals and
other enemies. In China, people lived in joint families. When a son married, he and his wife lived at his parents’
house. (38)____ daughters remained at home until they married. Chinese children felt very loyal (39)___ their
parents. Younger members of the joint family always took care of the old ones.
31. A. on
32. A. a
C. no article
33. A. another
D. the other
34. A. open
35. A. on
36. A. building
C. which built
D. be built
37. A. them
38. A. unmarried
D. being married
39. A. on
- other + N(số nhiều): những cái/người khác, không xác định
I don’t like these books. Please give me other books.
- others không đi với danh từ bên sau, không xác định
I don’t like these books. Please give me others.
- the other + N (số ít, số nhiều), xác định
There are five cars in the school yard. One is black and the other cars are white.
- the others không đi với danh từ bên sau, xác định
There are five cars in the school yard. One is black and the others are white.
- another + N (số ít): một cái / người khác, không xác định
I don’t like this books. Please give me another book / another one.
IV. Reading: Choose the item among a, b, c or d that best answers the question about the passage.
The United States has been criticized for it treatment of it elderly citizens. Although in many other
countries the elderly usually live with their children’s family, many older Americans live alone, without the
companionship of their children. This situation is sometimes blamed on the “selfishness” of the younger
generation but the closer look shows that many of the elderly prefer to maintain thir independent lives.
Research on the situation of the elderly in America has shown that while grandparents are delighted to be
visited periodically by their children and grandchildren, they prefer to continue living in the surrounding that
they are familiar with. This suggests that children should permit their parents to live alone if they wish to, and
should encourage them to maintain close ties to the rest of the family.
Another surprising result of the research on the elderly in the United States has been the very positive
influence which pets have been found to have on the elderly people that they live with. It has been shown that
elderly people who care for small pets, such as cats or dogs, live longer, are healthier, and have better attitudes
toward their lives than similar elderly people without these companions
40. Many elderly Americans live........................................
a. without satisfaction
b. by themselves
c. a lonely life
d. a simple life
41. What do some people see as the cause of this situation?
a. The society of the USA treats its elderly people as troubles.
b. The young people usually trouble the elderly of their own.
c. The government concerns hardly about the elderly people.
d. The young people are selfish.
42. Many of the elderly Americans want to...............................
a. keep living in their well-known place and conditions.
b. remain with their grandchildren in their houses.
c. remote their sons ’or daughters ’ homes.
d. live with their friend in their hometown.
43. The author advises the young people to.....................................
a. keep close ties the elderly of their own.
b. let the elderly of their familiar live by themselves.
c. respect the wishes of their elderly parents.
d. permit their elderly relatives to raise some pets.
44. The author’s thought is that .................................
a. the elderly who care for some pets live longer.
b. the social practice in the USA make the elderly live alone
c. the elderly people should have better attitudes toward their lives.
d. it is a social tradition that the elderly Americans enjoy the self-directing lives.
45. She has been living in the country ______the beginning of the summer.
46. They_________ since they _________ school.
A. did not meet/left
B. have not met/left
C. have not met/have left
D. do not met/left
47. They decided to go for a picnic ___________the cold weather.
A. because of
D. in spite of
- because + S + V: bởi vì
- because + N: bởi vì
- in spite of / despite + N: dù, mặc dù
- although / though / even though + S + V: dù, mặc dù
48. The discussion ________.Why are you always late?
A. already began
C. is beginning
D. has already begun
49. Two new markets ___________ by the local builders.
A. is being built
B. are going to be built
C. are going to being built
D. is building
50. If you had told me earlier, I …………………….. it to you.
A. would give
B. will give
C. would have given
D. would given
A. Pick out the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
1. a. missed
2. a. repeats
3. a. alter
B. Pick out the word that has the stress differently from that of the other words.
4. a. polite
5. a. instance
II. Reading: Choose the word or phrase among a, b ,c or d that best fits the blank space in the following
In the home a dad is very important. He is the (6).............who provides us with money to feed. He can (7)
………………..your bedroom, mend your radio, make cages for your pets, repair a puncture in your bicycle tire and
help you (8) ………….. math homework. A dad can be very useful for taking you in the car and from parties,
music and dancing lessons.
A dad is a person whom you ask for pocket money. He is the one who complains about the time you spend
talking on the phone, as he has to pay for the bills. Dad is someone who will support you in a /an (9)..........., if he
believes you to be right. He is someone reads your school (10).............. and treats if it is good. A dad likes to come
into a nice happy home evening, and settle back in his chair with a newspaper. He likes to recall National Service
6. a. man
7. a. decoration
8. a. about
9. a. talk
10. a. report
Which of the following underlined sounds is pronounced differently from the rest?
11. A. meat
12. A. call
13. A. come
14. A. divided
Which of the following words is stressed differently from the rest?
15. A. academic
B. compulsory C. government
16. A. majority
B. appointment C. tutorial
Choose the underlined word or phrase in the following sentences that needs correcting.
17. You should concentrate to what the interviewer is asking you to answer his questions.
18. Don’t forget to dress neatly and formal when you are called for an interview.
19. Most of us have learnt English since 1999.
20. There are a lot of people in your office wants to talk to you.
21. I’ve just spoke to Sally, whose sends you her love.
- speak to / talk to / say to s.o about sth
nói với ai về …
22. My bicycle ………………… last night.
C. was stolen
D. was stole
23. Two new markets ………………………… by the local builders.
A. is being built
B. are going to be built
C. are going to being built D. is building
24. We …………… dinner when they ……………….
A. just finished/ had come
B. had just finished/ came
C. was just finishing/ come
D. has just finished/ came
25. Unless he …………….. here, he wouldn’t have got any thing to eat.
A. had been
B. hadn’t been
C. has been
D. hasn’t been
- mệnh đề unless luôn luôn khẳng định
26. The opposite of ‘smart clothes’ is ……………………..
A. formal clothes
B. casual clothes
C. good clothes
D. normal clothes
27. When my father lived in Russia, he ……………… cold weather there.
A. was used to
B. used to
C. get used to.
D. was used with
- used to + V1: đã từng (chỉ thói quen trong quá khứ, giờ không còn nữa)
- be used to / get used to + V-ing: quen với việc gì ..
28. If you had told me earlier, I …………………….. it to you.
A. would give
B. will give
C. would have given
D. would given
29. The referee said, “Don’t run out of the line while the match is going on!” The referee asked the football
A. not run out of the line while the match is going on
B. to run out of the line while the match was going on
C. not to run out of the line while the match was going on
D. run out of the line while the match went on
30. She ............................. the piano since she was ten.
A. has played
B. has been played
D. is playing
31. Thien Mu Pagoda, …………. lies on the bank of Huong river, is an old pagoda.
D. Both A and B are correct
32. …………….. leaves last should turn off the lights.
- whoever + V: bất cứ ai, bất cứ người nào
33. The adjective of the noun ‘enthusiasm’ is ………………………….
34. In England, schools in which all students can attend without paying tuition fees are ………….
A. state schools
C. independent schools D. colleges
35. The doctor advised him to give up ………………..
B. to drink
D. being drunk
36. The opposite of ‘compulsory’ is …………………………..
37. In Vietnam, an academic year consists ……………. two terms.
38. It took my father two days …………….. the table.
A. to make
C. to be made
D. is being made
- It takes / took + O + thời gian + To-V1….
S (người) + spend + thời gian + V-ing
39. The man said, “I don’t like to live in big cities while I am away from home,” The man said ……..
doesn’t want to live in big cities while I am away from home.
B. he didn’t want to live in big cities while he was away from home.
C. he doesn’t want to live in big cities while he was away from home.
D. he doesn’t want to live in big cities while he is away from home.
40. It rained ………….. in this part of the country two days ago.
B. being heavy
D. much heavy
- V thường + adv
- To be + adj
41. We spent a lot of time …………………. this building.
A. to design
C. be designed
D. to have designed
- S (người) + spend + thời gian + V-ing
It takes / took + O + thời gian + To-V1….
42. When I arrived at the station, John has been waiting for me for an hour.
43. The farmer had to work hardly in the garden all day.
- hard (adj, adv):
cực nhọc, vất vả, chăm chỉ
- hardly (adv)
hầu như không
44. They are talking with Lan, who’s house is next to mine.
45. Children enjoy to tell and listening to ghost stories, especially on Halloween night.
46. If you can’t remember his number, you’d better to look it up.
- like, admit, deny, practice, miss, mind, enjoy …. + V-ing
- want, hope, promise, advise, intend, …+ to-V1
- had better, would rather, shall, will, can, may, must, have to, …+ V1
47. We don’t allow anyone to use their cell phone during the examination.
A. Everybody is not allowed using their cell phone during the examination.
B. Nobody is allowed using their cell phone during the examination.
C. Nobody is allowed to use their cell phone during the examination.
D. Nobody is not allowed to use their cell phone during the examination.
48. We will only be able to come if we can get some time off.
A. We won’t be able to come unless we can get some time off.
B. We will be able to come unless we can get some time off.
C. We wouldn’t be able to come unless we can get some time off.
D. We would be able to come unless we can get some time off.
49. I have never eaten this food before.
A. I have never eaten such a good food before.
B. It is the most tasty food I have eaten.
C. The food is so good that I have never eaten before D. It is the first time I have eaten this food.
50. ''I have found a new flat" said Ann.
A. Ann said that she has found a new flat.
B. Ann told that she had found a new flat.
C. Ann said me that she had found a new flat.
D. Ann said to me that she had found a new flat
1-29. Choose the best answer A, B, C or D.
1. Tommy left high school ……… the age ………. seventeen.
A. at / of
B. in / for
C. on / which
D. of / in
2. A happy marriage should be based .................love.
3. ……… is the study of the events of the past.
4. ………. is the study of the Earth’s physical features and the people, plants and animals that live in different
regions of the world.
5. ……….. yet ?
A. Have the letters been typed
B. Have been the letters typed
C. Have the letters typed
D. Had the letters typed
6. The telephone ……….. by Alexander Graham Bell.
A. is invented
B. is inventing
D. was invented
7. School uniform is compulsory in most of Vietnamese schools.
8. The academic year in Vietnam is over …….. the end ………. May.
A. from / in
B. for / on
C. on / in
D. at / of
9. A / An ………. is an official document stating that you have passed an examination completed a course, or
achieved some necessary qualifications.
10. You should …………….. more attention to what your teacher explains.
11. She always talks to her parents before..........an important decision.
- after / before / when / while …+ S + V(chia thì)
- after / before / when / while …+ V-ing (chủ động)
12. Mary takes the responsibility .................running the household.
13. John now in his final year at the secondary school. He is...............a lot of study pressure.
14. My responsibility in the family is............................the dishes.
c. to wash
15. I’m not allowed..............TV until I have finished my home work.
b. to watch
d. being watched
16. It is acceptable................ questions about age, marriage and income in Vietnam.
d. to ask
- It’s + adj (for s.o) + to-V1
17. We shouldn’t confide..........what he is telling.
18. In American there are two .................live in a home. They are parents and children.
b. generations c. generation
19. The conical leaf hat can protect people .............sun or rain.
20. We ...................... this course by the end of next year.
a. have finished
b. were finishing
c. had finished
d. will have finished
21. My mother lets me...............on picnic when I am free.
a. to go
22. They...................the Christmas dinner at the moment.
a. was preparing
c. are preparing
d. have prepared
23. He..................his homework yet.
a. has finished
b. hasn’t finished
c. didn’t finish
d. haven’t finished
24. My sister ................English for 20 years.
a. has been learning
b. is learning
d. will learn
25. It is the first time I..............this kind of food.
c. have eaten
d. am going to eat
26. She ...........volley before.
a. haven’t played
b. hasn’t played
27. My mother ............to stay with us next week.
b. will come
d. has come
28. She was playing the piano when our guest................. last night.
b. have arrived
d. had arrived.
29. My mother often ........... .newspapers in the evening.
c. has read
d. is reading.
30–32. Choose one word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others.
30. A. facial
31. A. allow
32. A. apply
33-35. Find out the mistake in each sentence by choosing A, B, C or D.
33. The major goals of primary education is to achieve basic literacy and numeracy among all students.
- N + cụm giới từ …+ V (chia dựa vào N)
34. If you listen to the questions carefully, you would answer them easily.
35. Beside words the human face is the primary source of information for express an individual’s internal feeling.
- giới từ (on, in, at, of …) + V-ing
36-38. Choose the sentence which has the closest meaning to the original one.
36. “Why don’t you asked the teacher for help?” Peter asked.
A. Peter advised me to ask the teacher for help
B. Peter recommended me not to ask the teacher for help
C. Peter told me the reason why I did not ask the teacher for help
D. Peter suggested that he should ask the teacher for help
37. “Hello, Mary!” Peter said.
A. Peter said hello Mary
B. Peter said Mary hello
C. Peter told Mary hello
D. Peter greeted Mary
38. “If I were you, I would take a break,” John said to Daisy.
A. Tom wanted to take a break with Daisy
B. Tom advised Daisy to take a break
C. Tom suggested not taking a break
D. Tom wanted to take a break, and so did Daisy
39–40. Choose one word whose stress pattern is different. Identify your answer by choosing the corresponding
letter A, B, C, or D.
39. A. parallel
40. A. eleven
Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
1. a. recently
2. a. communicate
3. a. carpet
4. a. expression
5. a. nervous
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a close
meaning to the original one.
6. It is of great ______ to show your interest and politeness when you are having a job interview.
c. importantly d. unimportant
7. Facial ______ show one's feelings when he is communicating.
8. Some people get married not simply because they are ______ love.
9. She told him _______.
b. to be patient
c. was patient
d. that being patient
10. Daniel asked me if I thought _______.
a. it will rain today
b. it will rain that day
c. it would rain today
d. it would rain that day
11. Barbara asked me _______ the homework that week.
a. that she must do
b. if she has to do
c. if she had to do
d. if did she have to do
12. Robert wanted to know if I was leaving the _______ Friday.
13. Jennifer asked me _______ the week before.
a. where had I gone
b. where I had gone
c. where did I gone
d. I had gone where
14. They _______ him for weeks.
a. do not see
b. did not see
c. have not seen
d. will not have seen
15. Every day Mary _______ on the computer, but today she _______ a typewriter because there is no power.
a. types / is using
b. is tying / uses
c. has typed / will use d. types / has used
16. She said that she hadn't visited the UK _______.
Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
1. a. through
2. a. facial
3. a. sometimes
4. a. included
5. a. allow
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a
close meaning to the original one.
6. He was so _______ that he could not even say a word.
7. I am really _______ in the way he talks, but the way he behaves.
V-ing adj (tả vật)
boring, interesting, amazing,
V-ed adj (tả người)
bored, interested, amazed
8. His attitude made me really _______.
make s.o + (adv) + adj
khiến / làm ai đó …
9. He has not kept in touch with us for _______ long time.
10. He got angry _______ me when I said that-he was wrong.
11. A smile is a sign _______ friendliness and interest.
12. Peter is very busy _______ his new job.
13. The meaning from touch is dependent _______ the context, the relationship between communicators, and the
manner of touch.
14. When I _______ up this morning, my roommate _______ already.
a. am waking / leaves
b. wake / has left
c. woke / had left
d. was waking / left
15. Someone _________at the door. I _______ it.
a. is knocking / will answer
b. knocked / would answer
c. knocks / have answered
d. would knock / was answering
- quyết định đưa ra vào thời điểm nói will / won’t + V1
- có dự định trước be going to + V1
16. In five minutes, they _______ for three hours on the phone.
a. are talking
b. have talked
c. will talk
d. will have been talking
- in + khoảng thời gian TLĐ (will / won’t + V1)
- for + khoảng thời gian HTHT (have / has + V3/-ed)
17. These workers _______ on strike to ask for higher salary at present.
a. are going
b. was going
c. have gone
d. had gone
18. John said that his brother _______ at home then.
d. has been
19. Max told me _______ a book in the evening.
a. if he often reads
b. he has often read
c. that he often read
d. he was reading
20. Tim asked Sarah _______ English so far.
a. she had been learning how long
b. how long was she learning
c. how long .she has been learning
d. how long she had been learning
21. Tom said that he had been to England _______.
a. ten years before
b. the years ago
c. the following ten years
d. the next ten years
22. Old people were fond of_______ in a quiet place .
D. to live
- giới từ (on, at, of, with, in …) + V-ing / Noun
23. Governments are building many wild-life preserves where animals are_______ within their natural environment.
24. All those ______live on the hillsides might be in danger when it rains cats and dogs.
- those (chỉ người) who + V (số nhiều)
25. School uniform is compulsory in most of Vietnamese schools.
26. It is of great importance to create a good impression _______ your interviewer.
27. You are old enough. I think it is high time you applied _______ a job
28. While I am waiting _______ my bus, I often listen _______ music.
a. on / at
b. for / to
c. toward / about
d. upon / in
29. My father phoned me to say that he would come _______ home late.
30. What are your plans for _______ future?
31. Most children enjoy _______ with their parents and siblings.
b. to play
32. She _______ working on that manuscript for 2 years now.
a. will be
b. has been
c. had been
33. He is the man _______ car was stolen last week.
34. I could not eat _______ I was very hungry.
a. even though
b. in spite
d. in spite the fact that
- in spite of / despite + N / V-ing
- although / though / even though + S + V + O
- in spite the fact that / despite the fact that + S + V + O
35. The children slept well, despite _______.
a. it was noise
b. the noise
c. of the noise
36. I think you should _____________.
A. have your hair cut
B. have your hair be cut
C. cut your hair
D. have your hair been cut
- S + have + O người + V1 + O vật
- S + have + O vật + V3/-ed + (by + O người)
37. The first question must ___________ before you attempt the others.
A. have answer
C. to answer
D. be answered
38. The Prime Minister is believed ______________ tomorrow.
A. will resign
B. to resign
C. to be resigning
D. to have resigned
39. The children were playing football in the schoolyard. They were my students.
A. The children who were playing football in the schoolyard were my students.
B. The children who played football in the schoolyard were my students.
C. The children played football in the schoolyard were my students.
D. The children was played football in the schoolyard were my students.
40. They say John won a special prize.
A. It is said that John won a special prize.
B. It was said that John won a special prize.
C. It was said that John wins a special prize.
D. It is said that John wins a special prize.
41. No one has cleaned the windows.
A. The windows haven’t been cleaned.
B. The window hasn’t been cleaned.
C. The window has been cleaned.
D. The windows have been cleaned.
42. They are going to build a hospital in this area.
A. A hospital is going to be built in this area.
B. A hospital is going to be build in this area.
C. A hospital is going to be building in this area.
D. A hospital is building in this area.
43. We got lost because we didn’t bring a city map.
A. If we had bought a city map, we wouldn’t have got lost. B. If we had a city map, we wouldn’t get lost.
C. If we have a city map, we won’t get lost.
D. Unless we have a city map, we won’t get lost.
44. "You have not done your work well," said the teacher to me.
A. The teacher told me I hadn't done my work well.
B. The teacher told me I haven't done my work well.
C. The teacher told me I hadn't done your work well.
D. The teacher told me I hadn't done his work well.
45. " This man spoke to me on the road," said the woman.
A. The woman said that man had spoken to me on the road.
B. The woman said that man had spoken to her the road.
C. The woman said that man spoke to her on the road.
D. The woman said that man had spoken to her on the road.
46. George has not completed the assignment yet, and Maria hasn’t neither.
47. After Tom returned to his house, he read a book.
48. Our form teacher told us not talk when the teachers were explaining the lesson.
49. The teacher told Tom when he did his homework.
50. Since I begin school, I haven’t had much spare time.
Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the others in each group.
1. A. although
2. A. rhinoceros
3. A. pleased
4. A. where
Pick out the word whose main stressed syllable is different from the rest.
5. A. conical
6. A. physical
7. A. ancestor
8. It’s difficult ___________high scores in this test.
B. to get
D. to be getting
Choose the best answers
9. When did you start working here?
A. How long have you worked here?
B. How long ago have you worked here?
C. How long have you started working here?
D. How long have you been starting working here?
10. “I’m sorry I have to leave so early,” he said.
A. He apologized for having to leave early.
B. He apologized to have to leave early.
C. He apologized that he has to leave early.
D. He apologized to have left early.
11. We were surprising by the results of the test.
12. She spent many money on clothes at the supermarket yesterday.
- V-ing adj: tả vật
V-ed adj: tả người
- much + N không đếm được
many + N đếm được số nhiều
13. The clown made us laugh a lot.
A. We were made to laugh a lot by the clown.
B. We made the clown laugh a lot.
C. We were made to be laughed a lot by the clown.
D. We were laughed a lot by the clown.
- be made + to V1
14. People say there are 96 universities in the UK.
A. There is said to have 96 universities in the UK
B. It was said there are 96 universities in the UK.
C. They are said there to be 96 universities in the UK.
D. There are said to be 96 universities in the UK.
15. People think that many endangered animals have been saved by laws.
A. Laws have saved many endangered animals.
B. It is thought that most endangered animals have saved by laws.
C. It thought most endangered animals have been saved by laws..
D. It is thought laws have saved many endangered animals.
16. In America, it isn’t ___________to ask personal questions.
D. B&C are correct
17. Why don't you make it bigger and more colourful to ________ people's attention ?
18.. We can use verbal or nonverbal forms of communication .
A. using verbs
B. using speech
C. using gesture
D. using facial expression
19. This is the second time ___________.
A. you've lost your door key
B. you are losing your door key
C. you were losing your door key
D. your door key was lost by you
20. He __________ his job last month and since then he __________ out of work.
A. lost – has been
B. lost – was
C. has lost – was
D. was lost – has been
21. Come and see me when you __________ your report.
B. will finish
C. had finished
22. I __________ much of you lately. We __________ three months ago.
A. haven’t seen – have met
B. didn’t see – have met
C. haven’t seen – last met
D. didn’t see – met
23. By the time we got to the party, they _________ everything.
A. were eating
B. have eaten
C. had been eaten
D. had eaten
24. John _________ his first piece of music when he was 10 years old.
D. was writing
25. When I came to visit him last night, he _______ his homework. He said that he _______ it since 6 o’clock.
B. was doing/was doing
C. was doing/has been doing
D. was doing/had been doing
26. Hoang said: “ Do you want to watch TV?”
A. Hoang asked me if I want to watch TV.
B. Hoang asked me if he wants to watch TV.
C. Hoang asked me if I wanted to watch TV.
D. Hoang asked me if he wanted to watch TV
27. Miss. Hue said: “What are you doing now?”
A. Miss. Hue asked what she was doing then.
B. Miss. Hue what I am doing then.
C. Miss. Hue asked what she was doing then.
D. Miss. Hue asked what I was doing then.
28. Waving to attract the teacher’s attention in Viet Nam is considered ____________
29. Mr. Jackson’s behavior and comments on occasions were inappropriate and fell below the _________ standards.
30. He asked me ____________ that film the night before.
A. that I saw
B. had I seen
C. if had I seen
D. if I had seen
Choose the best answer to fill in each blank:
We are a very ..... (31) ..... family and very supportive of one another. We often share our feeling , ..... (32) .....
whenever problems ..... (33) ..... up, we discuss them frankly and ..... (34) ..... solutions quickly. We always fell safe
and secure in our family .It is a base ..... (35) ..... which we can go into the world with confidence.
31. A. close- friend
C. join hands
32. A. and
33. A. to come
34. A. found
35. A. from
36.A . played
B . cooked
37. A. roofs
38. A. watches
39. A. hanged
40. A. helped
41. If I am 10 centimeters taller, I would play basketball.
42. The nurses have to work very hard to make good care of all patients.
43. Fresh air and regular exercises are useful to our healthy.
44. I’m going to the Post Office for buy some stamps.
45. Teachers work hardly but don’t earn much money
46. Education is very necessarily for leading a good life.
- tính từ sở hữu (my, his, her, our, their, your) + N / V-ing
- be / become / get/ feel / seem / taste + adj
- in order to / so as to / to + V1: để (chỉ mục đích)
- hard (adv): chăm chỉ, vất vả
hardly (adv): hầu như không
47. He said to me, “Where did you spend your holidays last year?”
48. She said to the boys, “Go out of the grass”
49. Jack said, “Do you often go to the church?”
50. They said to Miss Lam, “We will visit you tomorrow”
1. A. sometimes
2. A. allow
3. A. speech
4. A. nervous
5. A. argument
6. A. maintain
7. By the time she comes to see you, she ……………………me.
A. will call
B. will have called
C. has called
D. had called
8. I……………..well recently, I …………….to see the doctor every weekend.
A. haven’t slept / go
B. don’t sleep / go
C. won’t sleep / will go
D. hadn’t slept / was going
9. Children are not permitted ………………………near the bank of the river.
C. to play
D. being played
- be permitted + to V1 = be allowed + to V1: được cho phép
- allow + O + to V1:
allow + V-ing
- have + O vật + V3/-ed
have + O người + V1
10. I will have this letter ………………………tomorrow.
C. to type
11. Emily said that her teacher would go to London tomorrow.
12. Last night I watched TV, practiced the piano, and doing my homework.
13. I will hand in him this letter as soon as I shall meet him tomorrow.
14. We can avoid the rain or the sun by using the umbrella.
A. The umbrella can protect us with the rain or the sun.
B. The umbrella can make to avoid the rain and the sun.
C. The umbrella can protect us from the rain or the sun.
D. The umbrella can protect us from to avoid the rain or the sun
15. She said, “Don’t say anything until someone asks you”
A. She said that I didn’t say anything until someone asked me
B. She told me not to say anything until someone asked me
C. She told me do not say anything until someone asked me.
D. She told me not to say anything until she asks you
16. John said, “I was very tired last night”
A. John said he was very tired last night
C. John said he had been very tired last night
17. A. involved
B. John said he was very tired the night before
D. John said he had been very tired the night before
18. A. giant
19. A. comfortable
20. A. fall
21. The ring I lost last week found by a farmer who was digging a hole in the street out the house.
22. Since I begin school, I haven’t had much spare time.
23. At the interview they asked me when you can start work.
24. A. attentive
Many parents believe that they should begin to teach their children to read when they are scarcely more than
toddlers. This is fine if the child shows a read interest but (25) _____ a child could be counter-productive if she isn’t
ready. Wise parents will have a (26) _____ attitude and take the lead from their child. What they should provide is a
selection of (27) _____ books, and other activities. Nowadays, there is plenty of good (28) _____ available for
25. A. insisting
26. A. cheerful
27. A. bright
28. A. material
Sometimes people add to what they say even when they don’t talk. Gestures are the “silent language” of
every culture. We point a finger or move another part of the body to show what we want to say. It is important to
know the body language of very country or we may be misunderstood. In the United States, people greet each other
with a handshake in a formal introduction. The handshake must be firm. If the handshake is weak, it is a sign of
weakness or unfriendliness. Friends may place a hand on the other’s arm or shoulder. Some people, usually women,
greet a friend with a hug.
Space is important to Americans. When two people talk to each other, they usually stand about two and a
half feet away and at an angle, so they are not facing each other directly. Americans get uncomfortable when a
person stands too close. They will move back to have their space. If Americans touch another person by accident,
they say, “Pardon me.” Or “Excuse me.” Americans like to look the other person in the eyes when they are talking.
If you don’t do so, It means you are bored, hiding something, or are not interested. But when you are staring at
someone, it is not polite. For Americans, thumb-up means yes, very good, or very well-done. Thumbs down means
29. From the passage we can learn that _____.
A. gestures don’t mean anything while talking.
B. gestures can help us to express ourselves.
C. American people often use body language in communication.
D. It’s confusing to understand a culture’s body language.
30. American people often _____.
A. show their friendship by touching each other.
B. face each other directly when they are talking.
C. say “Pardon me.” To each other when they are talking.
D. get uncomfortable when you stand or sit too close to them.
31. If you are introduced to a stranger from the USA, you should _____.
A. greet him with a hug B. place a hand on his shoulder C. shake a hand weakly D. shake his hand firmly
32. When your friend gives you a thumbs-up, he, in fact, _____.
A. shows his rudeness to you
B. shows his anger to you
C. expresses his satisfaction to you
D. expresses his worries about you
33. He didn’t listen to his teacher, so he didn’t perform well in the examination.
A. If he listened to his teacher, he would perform well in the examination.
B. If he hadn’t listened to his teacher, he would have performed well in the examination.
C. If he had listened to his teacher, he would have performed well in the examination.
D. If he had listened to his teacher, he wouldn’t have performed well in the examination.
34. Peter said if he were me he would stop smoking.
A. I wanted Peter to stop smoking and he promised to do.
B. Peter promised to stop smoking.
C. Peter said he would stop smoking as I wanted him to.
D. Peter advised me to stop smoking.
35. The old man treated the little boy badly.
A. The little boy was treated by the old man badly.
B. The little boy was badly treated by the old man.
C. The little boy badly was treated by the old man.
D. The little boy was treated badly by the old man.
36. Jill didn't repair the roof of herself. She had it repairing.
37. I am so ______________ that I can’t say anything, but keep silent.
38. The book is divided ______ three parts.
39. Do you know the boy __________ father is a teacher?
40. You are old enough. I think it is high time you applied _______ a job
41. I still can’t believe it! My bicycle ____________last night.
A. was stealing
D. was stolen
42. Marie Curie, ________won a Nobel prize in Physics, is among the greatest scientists of all times.
43. Many American automobiles
in Detroit, Michigan.
A. are manufacturing
B. have manufactured
D. are manufactured
44. What __________ if you saw a pickpocket steal money from someone in the street?
A. would you do
B. will you do
C. did you do
D. do you do
45. My bike, __________ I had left at the gate, had disappeared.
46. Tommy left high school _______ the age _______ seventeen.
A. in / for
B. at / of
C. on / with
D. of / in
47. This room ______________ since the last time I was here.
A. has painted
B. has been painted
C. had been painted
48. _______ more carefully, he would not have had the accident yesterday:
A. If Peter driven
B. Had Peter driven
C. If had Peter driven
D. Unless Peter had driven
49. School uniform is compulsory in most of Vietnamese schools.
50. _______ speaking, I do not really like my present job.
1. A. compulsory
2. A. compliment
3. A. looked
4. A. wanted
5. A. laughed
6. I _____ four chairs so far this morning.
B. was painting
C. have painted
D. had painted
7. While I was working in the garden, my son _____ video games.
A. was playing
C. has played
D. has been playing
8. When you are going to get the roof _____? It leaks quite badly.
B. to repair
- S + get + O vật + V3/-ed
S + get + O người + to V1
9. By tomorrow morning everything _____ up in time for the performance
A. will be set
B. will have been set C. have already been setD. had already been set
10. Claire asked, “What time do the banks close?”
A. Claire wanted to know what time the banks close.
B. Claire wanted to know what time do the banks close.
C. Claire wanted to know what time did the banks close.
D. Claire wanted to know what time the banks closed.
11. She asked “Will you go tonight?”
A. She asked me if I will go that night.
C. She asked me will I go that night?
B. She asked me if I would go that night.
D. She asked me would I go that night
12. What would you have done if you have been at the seaside last summer ?
13. In my free-time, I often help mom with _______the house.
A. to clean
14. David: “You’ve got a beautiful jacket!”
– Helen: “________.”
A. I do
B. Thanks for your compliment
C.You, too D. Okay
15. _______ get tired of answering the same questions every day?
A. Have you ever
B. Had you ever
C. Do you ever
D. Are you ever
16. When you see your teacher approaching you, a slight wave to attract his attention is appropriate.
A. coming nearer to
B. catching sight of
C. pointing at
D. looking up to
17. According to the boss, John is the most _____ for the position of executive secretary.
A. supportive B. caring
18. Can you please tell me some information that _______ to the job?
19. Not all teenagers are well _______ for their future job when they are at high school.
20. Qualifications and _______ are two most important factors that help you get a good job.
B. experience C. attention
21. Before the interview, you have to send a letter of application and your résumé to the company.
C. curriculum vitae D. photograph
22. _______ more carefully, he would not have had the accident yesterday:
A. If Peter driven
B. If had Peter driven
C. Had Peter driven
D. Unless Peter had driven
23. _______ it were well paid, I would accept this proposal.
C. But for
D. If only
24. The banker to _______ I gave my check was quite friendly.
25. We are going to get our house _______ next week.
B. to paint
D. to be painted
26. Peter said if he were me he would stop smoking.
A. I wanted Peter to stop smoking and he promised to do.
B. Peter promised to stop smoking.
C. Peter said he would stop smoking as I wanted him to.
D. Peter advised me to stop smoking.
27. The two children blamed each other ______ the window.
A. to break
C. for breaking
D. having broken
28. This is the first time I attend such an enjoyable wedding party.
A. The first wedding party I attended was enjoyable.
B. I had the first enjoyable wedding party.
C. My attendance at the first wedding party was enjoyable.
D. I have never attended such an enjoyable wedding party before.
29. "How beautiful is the dress you have just bought!" Peter said to Mary.
A. Peter promised to buy Mary a beautiful dress.
B. Peter said thanks to Mary for her beautiful dress.
C. Peter complimented Mary on her beautiful dress.
D. Peter asked Mary how she had just bought her beautiful dress.
30. She has always had a good relationship with the children.
A. She has always got on well with the children
B. She has got a lot of friend children.
C. She has always got away well with the children.
D. The children have had her as their friend.
Rewrite each of the sentences, beginning as shown, so that the meaning stays the same
31. Susan started working for this company five years ago.
Susan has ………………………………………………………………………………
32. He hasn’t come here since 1999.
The last time ……………………………………………………………………………
33. During my dinner, the phone rang.
34. David left the party before we arrived there.
35. We haven’t gone to a concert for ages.
36. Sanny hasn’t seen her friends since she left for the United State.
Sanny last ……………………………………………………………………………….
37. In the middle of our sleep there was a knock at the door.
38. It is believed that the man was killed by terrorists.
The man ……………………………………………………………………………………….
39. Newspapers report that ten people were injured in the explosion
Ten people ………………………………………………………………………………………
40. People think that the robbers were driving a red car
The robbers ……………………………………………………………………………………..