Đăng ký Đăng nhập

Tài liệu Giáo trình t2

.PDF

Mô tả:

NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF CIVIL ENGINEERING FOREIGN LANGUAGE DEPARTMENT ---------------------------------------- ENGLISH SUPPLEMENTARY RESOURCES STAGE: T2 (For teachers) INTERNAL CIRCULATION Hanoi - 2015 ACKNOWLEDEMENTS We wish to express our sincere thanks to our colleagues who have helped us create these exercise practice materials from so many sources. Above all, we owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to all those who are willing to share their valuable experience, remarks and comments. We wish all of you every happiness and success. T2 GROUP- NUCE Lê Thị Thu Lan, M.A. Trần Lan Anh, M.A. Lý Thanh Tú, M.A. Bì Văn Tự, M.A. References Liz and John Soars & Sylvia Wheeldon, 2012, New Headway 3rd Edition, Oxford University Press. Malcolm Mann & Steve Taylore- Knowles, 2008, Destination B1- Grammar & Vocabulary, Macmillan Publishers Limited. Michael Vince, 2008, Intermediate Language Practice, Oxford Heinemann English Teaching. Lý Thanh Tú, 2013, English Sample Tests for Students of National University of Civil Engineering. CONTENTS Pages Grammar Reference 1 Review 1 Grammar Present simple, present continuous, stative verbs Past simple, past continuous, used to Vocabulary Grammar Reference 2 Review 2 Grammar Present perfect simple, present perfect continuous Past perfect simple, past perfect continuous Vocabulary Grammar Reference 3 Review 3 Grammar Future, time (present continuous, will, be going to) Prepositions of time and place Vocabulary Grammar Reference 4 Review 4 Grammar The passive 1 The passive 2 Vocabulary Grammar Reference 5 Review 5 Grammar Countable and uncountable nouns Articles Vocabulary Grammar Reference 6 Review 6 Grammar Pronouns and possessive determiners Relative clauses Vocabulary Grammar Reference 7 Review 7 Grammar Modals 1: ability, permission, advice Modals 2: obligation, probability Vocabulary Progress Test 1 Grammar Reference 8 Review 8 Grammar Modals 3: the modal perfect Questions, question tags, indirect questions Vocabulary Grammar Reference 9 Review 9 Grammar So and such, too and enough Comparative and superlatives Vocabulary Grammar Reference 10 Review 10 Grammar Conditional 1: zero, first, second Conditional 2: third Vocabulary Grammar Reference 11 Review 11 Grammar Reported speech Reported questions, orders, requests Vocabulary 1 3 5 7 12 14 17 19 25 27 29 31 33 35 39 43 45 47 49 51 53 57 59 Grammar Reference 12 Review 12 Grammar Direct and indirect objects Wish Vocabulary Grammar Reference 13 Review 13 Grammar -ing and infinitive Both, either, neither, so, nor Vocabulary Grammar Reference 14 Review 14 Grammar Connectives The causative Vocabulary Progress Test 2 Sample Test 1 Sample Test 2 62 64 66 68 70 72 74 78 83 1 2 REVIEW 1   Present simple, present continuous, stative verbs Past simple, past continuous, used to A. Use the word given in capitals at the end of each line to form a word that fits in the gap in the same line Collecting records These days, most of us have a CD (1) …………………. Before the CD, COLLECT (2) ………………………. made LPs, or „long-playing‟ records. Although SING many (3) ………………….. have never seen an LP, they were once very CHILD popular. To play these records, you needed a record (4) PLAY …………………… with a needle that ran along the record and produced the sound. Some (5) ……………………… say the sound of LPs was MUSIC better than CDs- and many (6) ………………………… agree! LPs are no COLLECT longer very popular as a form of (7) ………………………. , but many ENTERTAIN people buy and sell them. Some of them remember the LP from their (8) CHILD ……………………… and listening to records reminds them of the past B. Complete using correct forms of the verbs in the box. You may use one word twice. carry eat give join send take turn 9. Now, everyone knows this song, so I want you all to ……………………….... it with me! 10. It‟s noisy in this restaurant. Could you ask them to …………………..… the music down? 11. There was a fight during the match and the refree ……………………….. two players off. 12. We …………………….. out about once a week and we cook at home the rest of the time. 13. I love this song! …………………………...............................................................… it up! 14. I used to play the trumpet, but I …………………. up last year because I didn‟t have time. 15. We stopped playing because of the rain, but when it stopped we ……...……………… on. 16. A good way of getting more exercise is to ……………………. up a sport, like basketball. C. Complete each second sentence using the word given, so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence. Write between two and five words. 17. Jack really likes football and never misses a match. crazy Jack …………………………………………........…….football and never misses a match. 18. My uncle worked on a sailing boat until he was thirty. was My uncle …………………………….................................................….until he was thirty. 19. Do you want to watch TV? feel Do you ……………………...............................................................………………….TV? 20. John participated in a swimming competition last week. part John ……………………………...............…………in a swimming competition last week. 21. June and I had a game of tennis. against I had ……………………………….......................................................................….. June. 22. I played chest almost every day when I was young. used I …………………………………….......…….chess almost every day when I was young. 3 23. Volleyball doesn‟t really interest me. in I‟m not ……………………………................................................................…..volleyball. 24. I enjoyed myself at your birthday party. fun I …………………………….........................................…………….at your birthday party. 25. Young children like Disney land. popular Disneyland …………………………...................................................…….young children. 26. Karen doesn‟t like watching sport on TV. keen Karen …………………………....................................…………….watching sport on TV. D. Choose the correct answer. 27. When you rang, I ………………….....................................................................…my bike. A. cleaned B. was cleaning C. used to clean D. clean 28. At my last basketball club, we …………....................…….every Saturday for three hours. A. were training B. training C. train D. used to train 29. I really ………………….............................…the meal we had at your house last Tuesday. A. was liking B. liked C. like D. am liking 30. We ………………..........................……to the beach every day when we were on holiday. A. went B. were going C. go D. used to going 31. I broke my leg when Tony and I ……….......................…………for the school sports day. A. practised B. used to practice C. were practising D. were practised 32. Leon never ……………............……….about it, but he was once a world champion skier. A. talks B. is talking C. was talking D. talk 33. I ……………………like golf, but now I really like it. A. don‟t use to B. don‟t used to C. didn‟t used to D. didn‟t use to 34. Denise ……………………at the stadium until she finds a better job. A. works B. is working C. used to work D. was working E. Match the two halves of the sentences 35. I waited outside the tennis club for .............. A. fun, and I don‟t want to do it as a job. 36. When you rang, I was in .............. B. stage, with all the audience clapping. 37. We finally got to the stadium just in .............. C. time to see the match start. 38. I just play football for .............. D. a long time, but George didn‟t appear. 39. I loved that film and when it comes out .............. E. on DVD, I‟ll definitely get it. 40. It‟s great to appear on .............. F. the middle of cleaning my football boots. 4 5 6 REVIEW 2  Present perfect simple, present perfect continuous  Present perfect simple, present perfect continuous A. Complete using the words in the box exam fact favour heart instance mark progress skill My German teacher says I‟ve made a lot of ……………........................………..this term! What time are you taking the French ……………...........................……………tomorrow? I‟m not in ……………………...............…of giving students lots of homework each night. Being able to drive a car is a very useful ……..........…………………………………….. . Have we got to learn all these irregular verbs by …...........……………………………….? Some languages, like Russian for …….………. , don‟t have words for „a‟, „an‟, and „the‟. I got a very good ……………………….....................................……in my geography test. Many people hate learning phrasal verbs, but in ….……………..they‟re not that difficult. Write a phrasal verb in the correct form to replace words in bold. The first letter of the first word is given to help you. 9. Simon r…..................................……….the wrong answer and wrote the right one. (removed with a rubber) 10. Why did you r……………………….. …........…….that piece of paper? (tear into pieces) 11. If you make a mistake, just c…………………......….. it…………. (draw a line through) 12. You should l…..……….words you don‟t know in a dictionary. (find information about) 13. Carol, will you r…..............……………….your poem to the class, please? (say out loud) 14. Our teacher p……………….......…….………….that we only had five minutes left. (said) 15. Have you all w………………...............………. What the homework is? (made a note of) C. Complete by changing the form of the words in capitals. 16. What‟s the name of Dave‟s driving ……………………….? INSTRUCT 17. Dictionaries and encyclopedias are example of ………………..books. REFER 18. I‟ve only been learning Arabic for a few months, so I‟m still a ................... BEGIN 19. In maths, you have to learn to do addition, subtraction, multiplication and...........DIVIDE 20. Three of your answers were …………..……… , so you got 17 out of 20. CORRECT 21. Are you really going to take part in the singing competition? I admire your ……BRAVE 22. I think every child should get a good ………………….....................….. . EDUCATE 23. There‟s a …………………………….to Albert Einstein in the town square. MEMORY 24. I want complete …………………………….. , so no talking at all! SILENT 25. This maths problem is too difficult for you, so I‟ll ………………it a little. SIMPLE D. Choose the correct answer. 26. The first time …………………..............................................all the answers right in a test! A. I‟ve got C. I‟ve been getting B. I‟d got D. I‟d been getting 27. The exam ……………………….when Jimmy finally found the right room. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. B. 7 A. has already started C. had already started B. already started D. already starts 28. ……………………….....that crossword for over an hour and you still haven‟t finished it! A. You‟ve done C. You‟ve been doing B. You‟d done D. You‟d been doing 29. When they let us go in, we …………........….outside the exam room for over half an hour. A. have stood C. have been standing B. had been standing D. are standing 30. Claire hasn‟t finished her homework …………..........................................................…… A.already C. just B. yet D. ever 31. Have you ………………..............................................................…..been on a school trip? A. yet C. before B. for D. ever 32. Lizzie has been having dance classes ………….......................……she was four years old. A. for C. since B. from D. when 33. Had you been learning French ………….several years before you took your first exam? A. for C. since B. from D. when E. Write one word in each gap. Cheating You‟re doing a history test. Your friend, who‟s sitting next to you, really wants to succeed (34) ………….the test. There‟s a question (35) ………………the First World War, which you‟ve been learning (36) ……………recently. You know a lot (37) …………….it, but your friend isn‟t really capable (38) …………… answering the question properly. Your friend whispers „Help me!‟ to you. What should you do? Should you help your friend (39) …………………….the question, or just continue (40) ……………your own test? Every student has to cope (41) ……………….this difficult situation at some point. What‟s your opinion (42) …………………cheating? Should you help your friend cheat (43) …………….the test or not? F. Write a suitable sentence using the PRESENT PERFECT TENSE : 43. Ann‟s hair was dirty. Now it‟s clean. (wash) …….............................................................. Ann has washed her hair. 44. Tom was 80 kg. Now he‟s 70. (lose weight) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 45. Bill played football yesterday. Now he can‟t walk; his leg is in plaster. (break) …………………………………………………………………………………………………. 46. My sister is looking for her pen. (lose) ………………………………………………………………………………......……………… 47. Mary is on holiday in France. (go) …………………………………………………………………………………......…………… 8 48. Mr. Hill was in Canada last week. He‟s back in London now. (be) ……………………………………………………………………………………..………… 49. Look! Mrs. Smith has got a lot of packages. (buy) ……………………………………………………………………………………..………… 50. I can‟t eat anything now. (eat too much) …………………………………………………………………………………….………… 51. Mrs. Jenkins is very tired. (clean / house) ............…………………………………………………………………………….………… 52. Tony needs a holiday. (work / hard / this year) ……………………………………………………………………………………..………… G. Use PRESENT PERFECT TENSE after BECAUSE: Example: She can‟t go to the party. (catch a cold) She can‟t go to the party because she has caught a cold. 53. He can‟t walk very fast. (hurt / leg) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 54. I can‟t get in. (lose / key) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 55. I know this story very well. (see the film) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 56. I can‟t post the letter. (not put / stamp / on it) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 57. He can‟t stand up. (eat too much) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 58. They can‟t go on holiday. (not save / money) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 59. I know him. (meet him before) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 60. We don‟t know how he is. (not hear from him) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 61. He won‟t take a cigarette. (give up smoking) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 62. She can‟t get in. (he / lock the door) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… H. Follow the example and do the same using ALREADY: Example: Bring the milk in, please. - I have ALREADY brought it in. 63. You must find the tickets soon. ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 64. Tidy your room. ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 65. Could you post the letters, please? ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 9 66. Why don‟t you see a doctor? ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 67. Brush your teeth, will you? ………………………………………………………………………………………………… I. Follow the example and do the same using JUST: Example: he / go out - What has he JUST done? - He has JUST gone out. 68. She / leave the room ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 69. They / watch the news ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 70. He / put on the jacket ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 71. Thomas / catch a fish ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 72. The teacher / walk out ………………………………………………………………………………………………… J. Follow the example and do the same using YET: Example: She has been in the shop. (buy anything) - She has been in the shop but she hasn‟t bought anything YET. 73. I‟ve written to them three times. (not reply) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 74. She went to the bus-stop half an hour ago. (the bus / not come) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 75. I lent him $10 last month. (not give it back) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 76. He lost his pen a week ago. (not find it) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… 77. She went to New York six months ago. (not return it) ………………………………………………………………………………………………… K. Rewrite the following sentences twice, using SINCE and FOR: Example: I haven‟t seen you. (Christmas / 3 days) a) I haven‟t seen you SINCE Christmas. b) I haven‟t seen you FOR 3 days. 78. We‟ve been here. (an hour / 4 o‟clock) a)……………………………………………………………………………………………… b)……………………………………………………………………………………………… 79. She hasn‟t spoken to me. (2 weeks / last week) a)……………………………………………………………………………………………… b)……………………………………………………………………………………………… 10 80. They‟ve lived in this street. (1970 / a long time) a)……………………………………………………………………………………………… b)…………………………………………………………………………………………… 81. I haven‟t had time to do it. (last Monday / a few days) a)……………………………………………………………………………………………… b)……………………………………………………………………………………………… 82. We haven‟t bought a new one. (ages / many years) a)……………………………………………………………………………………………… b)……………………………………………………………………………………………… L. Put the verbs in the correct tense. Use the SIMPLE PAST or the PRESENT PERFECT: 83. ……………………….. Tim ……………….........................………. (finish) his work yet? 84. ……………………….. he ……………………….........................… (finish) it yesterday? 85. They …………...........................………………………..........................…. (just / go) out. 86. They ……………………………..................................................… (go) out a minute ago. 87. …………………… Ann …….........................……………... (study) yesterday afternoon? 88. …………………… you …………………….........................……. (send) the letters yet? 89. …………………… she ……………...……......................……….. (call) him a week ago? 90. They …………………………....................................……………. (not / see) the film yet. 91. The train …………………………………………….................................... (just / arrive). 92. ………………………. you ………………….........…………. (ever / be) in a TV studio? 93. …………………… you and Tom …………………..……… (enjoy) the party last night? 94. …………………… you …………………………….....…. (not / finish) school last year? 95. I ………………………………….....……. (lose) my dictionary. I can‟t find it anywhere. 96. His hair looks short. He …………………..........……………………….. (have) a haircut. 97. When ……………………………………………........................ (he / give up) smoking? 98. Jane …………………………………….............................. (buy) her car two weeks ago. 99. My bicycle isn‟t here. Somebody ………………………….......………………. (take) it. 100. Why ……………………………..………… (Jim / not want) to play tennis last Friday? 101. The car looks clean. …………….....………….. you ……………………….. (wash) it? 102. When we were on holiday, the weather ………...........…………………… (be) terrible. 11 12 13 REVIEW 3   Future time (present continuous, will, be going to) Prepositions of time and place A. If a line is correct, put a tick ( √ ). If there is an extra word in a line, write the word. Unseen London 1 ………………………… Of course, London is famous for that its attractions like Big Ben 2 ………………………… and the Tower of London. Millions of tourists look at these 3 ………………………… buildings every year- but not far distance from these places, 4…………………………… there are other interesting sights. Next time you set off to visit 5 ………………………… London, why not plan to go to some of the places close in to the 6 ………………………… centre of the city that tourists rarely go to? Get into of a taxi and 7 ………………………… ask the driver to take you to Billingsgate fish market, for 8 ………………………… example. When you arrive there at the market, you‟ll be amazed 9 ………...……………… at the sights and sounds of real London. You can ask to the fish 10 ………......…………… sellers about their work- and you don‟t have to wait on for hours to get a ticket! B. Complete each second sentence using the word given, so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence. Write between two and five words. 11. Did they give you a map of the area? provide Did they …………………………………………………………........…a map of the area? 12. My intention is to travel to Malta by ferry. going I ……………………………………………………..........……….travel to Malta by ferry. 13. I like staying by the sea when I‟m on holiday. coast I like staying ………………………………………………................when I‟m on holiday. 14. Be careful when you leave the bus. off Be careful when you …………………………….....................................…………the bus. 15. The beach is close to the hotel, so we can walk there. foot We can…………………..................……….from the hotel to the beach because it‟s close. 16. Why don‟t you drive to Brighton this weekend? car Why don‟t you go to Brighton ……...............................……………………this weekend? 17. We‟re going to return to Bali again this summer. back We‟re going to ………………………...................................……..Bali again this summer. 18. I like to watch the planes leaving the ground when I‟m at the airport. off I like to watch the planes ………….................................…………when I‟m at the airport. C. Complete by changing the form of the word in capitals. 19. We thought of driving to Berlin, but in the end we …….........……………… . FLY 20. Could you ask the ……………………………to slow down a bit, please? DRIVE 21. Experienced ………………..will enjoy our hotel‟s comfortable double room. TRAVEL 22. Paris is really ……………………in the spring. Shall we go? ATTRACT 23. Let‟s fly in business- it‟s much more …………than the cheap seats! COMFORT 14 24. Please check the ………………………..time on your ticket carefully. DEPART 25. We looked at all the hotels and in the end we …………………the Majestic. CHOOSE 26. I think we went in the wrong …………at the last turning and now we‟re lost. DIRECT D. Choose the correct answer. 27. I ………………......................................................................…..around the world one day. A. travel C. am travelling B. Am going to travel D. travelled 28. Do you think Curtis …………….........................................……….the car race tomorrow? A. will win C. is winning B. wins D. won 29. What‟s the weather like ………………......................................….. Russia at the moment? A. on C. in B. at D. to 30. I can‟t come to your party because I …………..........................…… my cousin that week. A. visit C. visited C. will visit D. am visiting 31. I think there‟s a picture of the hotel ……………........................................… the first page. A. on C. in B. at D. to 32. We usually go away somewhere on holiday …………………........................... New Year. A. on C. in B. at D. to 33. Watch out, or you ……….................................................................………….off the boat! A. fall C. are falling B. are going to fall D. fell 34. It‟s my birthday ………………........... Friday, so we‟re spending the weekend in London. A. on C. in B. at D. to E. Choose the correct answer. 35. I got ………………..........…..the car, turned the key and realised I didn‟t have any petrol! A. into C. onto B. off D. on 36. I hope our plane leaves on........... ………………………. ................................................... A. timetable C. schedule B. plan D. hour 37. My mum ……………........……...........….the bus to work every morning, but Dad drives. A. catches C. runs B. does D. goes 38. We had a long way to go so we ………..............................................………off very early. A. made C. put B. set D. had 39. I prepared ………………......…..my trip very carefully, and I still I forgot my toothbrush! 15
- Xem thêm -

Tài liệu liên quan